I know the title "You Do Not Love Yourself If You Are Not Doing This" is a bit harsh but I needed to get your attention. There is such a misunderstanding regarding self-care and what it truly involves. I know that there are different definitions of self-care but I like to keep it simple. Self-Care is taking care of yourself, mind, body, spirit, personally, and financially. All of these things make up who you are. Without taking care of yourself in every area you can risk burn out, depression, your health decreasing, isolating yourself from others, and loss of faith among so many other things. You may very well love yourself, but if you are lacking in any of these areas it's time to give it some attention and give it the love it needs.
I want to share with you 7 Self Care Tips that will help you to make sure you are showing yourself the love and affection you need in every area of your life.
- Spiritual Self Care. Do you meditate? Do you pray? Do you fast? Are you reading the word of God? Building your spirit up is so important and unfortunately is an area that people neglect. Don't neglect your spiritual journey. Take the time to read books that help you better understand who you are spiritually. I have some amazing books that I recommend on the resources page under Spiritual Development that will help you in this area of your life.
- Mental Self Care. Always remind yourself that you are what you think about. If you are always thinking about negative things, negative things will start to happen. Focus your mind on positive thoughts and the outcome that you want out of that situation. At least if something bad happens you know it wasn't because you manifested it yourself. If was something that was out of your control. And even in those situations train your mind to think what is it that you should learn from this. Use the Pray Plan Pursue Planner and Journal to record your thoughts that way they are on paper and out of your head.
- Emotional Self Care. Having your emotions under control is so important. I know first hand what it is like to be on an emotional rollercoaster and it is not fun at all. I check myself regularly to make sure that I am not overreacting to things and situations. I also read a book called Emotional Intelligence that has helped me to gain control of my emotions. I recommend it because it has helped me in more ways then one.
- Physical Self Care. I know this is not everyone's favorite thing to do, but exercising is a benefit to the body. This month I am doing a Slay The Weight 7 Week Challenge. The goal is to get the body moving for at least 30 minutes a day every day for seven weeks. The challenge will also involve eating at least one salad a day and drinking one fruit smoothie a day. If you can do more that would be great but if you don't, doing one a day is a great start. Along with physical exercise, pampering yourself is important as well. When you look good you feel good. If you have to wake up a half hour earlier to apply your makeup, put an extra curl in your hair, or make sure your twist out is on point, do it! Doing what makes your body feel good both inside and out is essential to accomplishing your physical self-care goals!
- Social Self Care. Getting out and enjoying people, places, and things are just as important as getting in your self-time! I am naturally an introvert so I LOVE my self-time, but it is important to get out and socialize with others as often as you can. It helps to create great relationships both personally and professionally and it helps in setting healthy boundaries. Go to places you know will allow you to meet good people, make great connections, enjoy their company, and of course enjoy yourself in the process.
- Personal Self Care. Do you know who you are really? Do you know what you enjoy? Do you know what makes your heart smile? If you are feeling down do you know what to do to get you in a good mood? This is where the Know Thy Self comes into play. You have to know who you are and what you like so that you can teach other people how to treat you. If you answered no to any of these questions it's time to spend some time with yourself. Don't be afraid to be alone to discover who you are. In that time you may see something you don't like about yourself and that's ok because guess what, you can change it! You have taken the time to identify what it is. You have taken an inventory of yourself and you can get rid of things you don't want and add what you do want to your life. Make time for a new hobby or adventure. Take yourself on a date. Do something you always wanted to do. It may not be an easy thing to do but in the end, it will be worth it.
- Financial Self Care. Many people may not add this to the self-care category but it should be so I will be the first to do so. Having financial stability is very important. I hear people say all the time that money can't buy you love and happiness but the lack of it won't buy you much either. I understand that you don't want to be so in love with money that you are doing anything for it, but money is important and we must know more about how to earn it, save it, and invest it in things that will help us to have a stress free future. If you have not read Top 7 Ways To Make Real Money Moves In 2018 you need to do so. It will help you get a better understanding of money and what you need to do to get more of it.
I know these tips will help you get your entire life, love on yourself more often, and make real money moves this year. Let me know how these tips have helped you by commenting below. Don't forget to subscribe to the She Evolve Society Newsletter or Join me in the Self Care Is Not Selfish Challenge to start your journey toward personal and financial growth.